Friday 30 May 2008

Preface for Kashmir and Pakistan’s ‘Principled stand’

Preface for Kashmir and Pakistan’s ‘Principled stand’

Some 'friends ' have pointed out that my writings are generally 'controversial' and people get annoyed because of this. I always make a deliberate attempt to generate debate, because it is discussion that helps people to understand and refine ideas -it helps people to understand other peoples perspective. But in trying to generate discussion I always try to be positive and objective in my approach.
I always try to persuade people with historical facts and logical arguments and never try to annoy anyone. Purpose of writing is to get JKLF message across to people in its true perspective. I DO NOT write to please anyone or upset anyone. In other words, whether someone like what I write or dislike it, what I write is my thinking, my ideas and my philosophy. As long as what I write is not contrary to the ideology of a united and independent Kashmir, and my conscience is satisfied, it does not bother me a bit that people like it or not.
Some of these people who get 'upset' by reading my writings have their personal reasons and agendas determined by others; and more than often it is these 'others' who instigate this campaign of 'dislike' and hatred against me and many others who ascribe to the ideology and strategy I pursue. It is in the political culture of Pakistan and Kashmir to label people with being 'pro Indian', 'pro Pakistan', 'anti Pakistan', 'anti Islam', 'American agent', and 'Indian agent' etc. It is unfortunate that even a person like Maqbool Butt was labelled as an 'Indian agent' and a 'Pakistani agent'.
Further more people like Nawaz Sharif and Benazir Bhutto were also accused of being Indian agents and security risk to Pakistan. Both of these were Prime Ministers of Pakistan, and that is the highest post one could ever hope to achieve in a country. By being an agent of India what further they could have achieved? Why would they do it anyway- they had power, money and popularity? This indicates only one thing that there is a political culture of accusing others, and some of the motives for doing this are listed below:
· To damage political opponents
· To create rift in a party or a campaign
· Do it in order to please pay masters
· Do it in order to divert attention from own 'deeds'
· Or do it to get some recognition and attention
Of course there could be other reasons, but the point I am trying to make is that people have their own reasons for accusing others, and unfortunately those people who opposed the creation of Pakistan are at the forefront of this campaign. Their purpose is very clear, they could not defeat Quaide Azam Mohammed Ali Jinnah, but they have defeated his ideals. They have worked hard and together with others have ensured that there is no peace, prosperity and stability in Pakistan. Quaide Azam's Pakistan was broken in to two in 1971, but these people have not rested, they are working hard to destroy the remaining Pakistan by creating rifts, promoting religious intolerance and encouraging 'Jihad' against other Islamic sects, not to mention Jihad against rest of the world.
Any one who would oppose them would be declared 'anti Pakistan', 'anti Islam', 'Indian agent', 'American agent' or 'Jewish agent'. They have financial muscle and a network to carry out their task. There are many writers, scholars and professionals who know what these people are doing, and they dislike it as well but they choose to remain silent because of this threat of being labelled. But this silent majority has to wake up to the occasion and stop this before it is too late
As for me I will continue to write what I believe is correct, and I will do everything what is required to promote the ideology of united and independent Kashmir. For that I am prepared to fight my corner and face all the challenges. I will not and could not succumb to the pressure tactics of these people.
Because I keep balance when I criticise India and Pakistan, people accuse me of being soft on India. These people think only India deserves criticism and by criticising Pakistan we put both countries at par. Also they think criticism on Pakistan diverts attention away from the Indian atrocities in Kashmir.
I never try to compare both countries when it comes to human rights violations; India is guilty of committing gross human rights violations in Kashmir. But when it comes to political manoeuvring in Kashmir and territorial objectives, then there is not too much difference. Both countries are interested in acquiring Kashmir and welfare of the Kashmiris are not of great interest to either country.
We criticise India for wrongs done in Kashmir, but we have to keep in mind that India has never claimed that she is fighting to 'liberate Kashmir'; or supporting Kashmiri peoples right of self -determination. But Pakistan never stops claiming to be doing everything for the interest of Kashmiri people, and for Kashmir she has lost East Pakistan, and suffered in many other ways
Also Pakistani leaders claim that they have a 'principled stand' on Kashmir, and that they will never betray the people of Kashmir and this 'principled stand'. I have analysed Pakistan's Kashmir policy in this article and proved with historic evidence that they play with sentiments of the people and have no consistent policy on Kashmir.
Pakistani leaders have not only betrayed the Kashmiri people but they have also betrayed the Pakistani people as well. Instead of spending their energy on 'Kashmir Baney Ga Pakistan', I wish they had spent their energy and wisdom in making Pakistan the kind of Pakistan the Qaaid Azam had envisaged. In that case Pakistan would not have faced humiliation in 1971 and loss of East Pakistan; and Pakistan would have been stable and prosperous state. A strong, united and prosperous Pakistan would have had much more appeal for not only Kashmir but also for other states in the region as well.
So it is important to tell people what is the actual role of Pakistan regarding Kashmir. My criticism is on the Kashmir policy of Pakistan rather than on Pakistan. I don't have to be full of hate, harsh or rude against India or Pakistan to prove my patriotism. I have my own style in making a point and I don't expect everyone to agree with me. Similarly I expect others to appreciate that not everyone could agree with their point of view.
Shabir Choudhry
Telfax: 020 8597 4782
Mobile: 07941 295327 Email: schoudhry@freeuk.com

No comments: